Monday 16 April 2007

Politicians

Over the past couple of days I've been emailing politicians (38 MPs and 1 MEP so far) in the hope that some of them will support the petition, and it's been quite an instructive process.

I've been working from the list of MPs on the UK Parliament website, and I've been quite surprised to find how many of them don't have an email address, let alone a website. Whatever happened to online democracy?

A major obstacle is getting past their researchers who seem only too keen to explain that an MP can't take up your case if you're not his constituent; that's fine, but I don't want anyone to take up my case, all I want is support for the petition.

So far, I think one MP has signed up (thank you, sir), but, in common with many others, he seems to have missed out on the email with the link confirming his details.

I think I can see a flaw in the system...

No comments: